On 7/19/2017, 11:57:57 AM, Pedro <pedl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote
>> When you join a machine to a domain, the 'Domain Admins' group is
>> automatically added to the Local Administrators group on the computer
>> that was joined. It has been this way forever (as long as I can
>> remember), and is extremely useful, and is simply not a 'security issue'
>> as you suggest.
>
> Actually that is not true.

Actually, yes it is.

> At my workplace I have to manually add the domain admin to the PC's
> admin group on each computer
I didn't say it added a 'Domain Admin' user, I said it adds the 'Domain
Admins' GROUP (so that any member of that group automatically gets local
admin rights on the PC when logging in).

I leverage this behavior in my domain to allow me to quickly allow
certain users to have Local Admin privileges by defining a 'Local
Admins' group, and also adding that Group to the local 'Administrators'
group on the PC when it is joined. Then all I have to do is add a user
to that group, and they automatically get Local Admin Rights on their
workstation.

Caveat: you must be careful, because by default, lots of network shares
automatically assign the 'Administrators' Group with full access, and a
bug in Windows doesn't differentiate between the DOMAIN 'Administrators
group and the LOCAL PC 'Administrators' group.

> Maybe some setting was misconfigured by our IT

Since this is the default, then yes, something is broken for your domain
- whether accidental, or some misguided 'admin' wannabe decided to be
'clever' and disable this essential/default behavior.

> but my point is you should not assume everything everywhere works as
> you think it does.

Actually, it make perfect sense to ass-u-me that a system is functioning
correctly, so that someone can learn that it isn't, just as you have now
learned in this discussion.