Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] insert unicode char in writer
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Friday, 28 September, 2018, 11:52

Hi Gary,

Gary Collins schrieb am 28-Sep-18 um 11:51:
> Hi
> I would like to be
able to insert some unicode characters into writer doc but
cant find a way to do this directly.

Type U+0161 and then press Alt+X, for example.
Alt+X is a toggle. You can use it also to
look, which code a character has.

Insert special char doesnt seem to be able to
find the chars i want, but maybe i'm
not doing something right.

The special character dialog works, but you
need to know which font has a glyph for the character. Otherwise the character will not be shown in the selection pane.

  I have
a workaround using calc; i can enter the hex codes as text
(row 1) and (row 2) use a formula =UNICHAR(HEX2DEC(A1)) filled acrosd adjacent column and finally copy row 2 and paste as unformatted text into writer. This works but is rather longwinded to say the least. It does show that its not a problem with the font or with writer's ability to display the
required chars; its just that i'd like a way to enter

them directly into the writer documext.
> The chars in question were hex A723, A725,
1E25, 1E2B, 1E96, 0161 (this one i *could* use insert
special char), 1E6F, 1E0F.
> Build
1:5.2.2-0ubuntu2.1

Have you looked, whether Ubuntu has a direct
input method? On Windows it is possible to use the numpad for direct input, although I prefer the U+hexnumber method of LibreOffice.

Kind regards
Regina