This may work.

  Wayland solution

Since Ubuntu 18.04, Wayland <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)######> is the default display protocol.
To enable scaling:

 *

    Enable fractional Scaling experimental-feature:

    |gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features
    "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']" |
 *

    Restart the computer.

  * Open /Settings/ -> /Devices/ -> /Displays/
  * Now you should see 25 % step scales, like 125 %, 150 %, 175 %.
    Click on one of them and see if it works.

Quote from: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029436/enable-fractional-scaling-for-ubuntu-18-04

I do not know if it has reduction settings.

It may be possible to set a separate workspace using the above, but I'm no expert.

Anybody else?