Hi all.

I'm having a spot of bother trying to get a .ps or .pdf produced from a .odt using the command line.

I've revisited some code last used a few years ago, whose last step is just to use LO to do this conversion. It used to make a .ps file, but that now seems to have changed, and I get a .pdf instead - which is corrupt.

So I get for example

libreoffice --headless --print-to-file --outdir "./"  "./y.odt"
print /dhome/mike/homebrew software/service sheet production/web generator/y.odt -> /dhome/mike/homebrew software/service sheet production/web generator//y.pdf using <default_printer>

pdfinfo y.pdf
Syntax Warning: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
Syntax Error (2432): Illegal character '{'
Syntax Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Syntax Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Syntax Error: Couldn't read xref table

The resulting pdf won't load into a browser and upsets several of the pdf tools, although gimp or xreader can read it. Fortunately, pdf2ps accepts the file, so as a workaround, I do the LO --print-to-file and then run the result through pdf2ps and then back through ps2pdf; the result of that contortion seems OK.

Looking at the GUI instead, under the tools|options|print page, if I try to set options for print to file, the tick box for pdf is set and disabled. Yet if I select print to file in the normal print dialogue, I get a valid .ps file not a pdf.

I need to run this as a print job, since '--convert-to pdf' doesn't honour the brochure setting in place in the document. Using the GUI and printing works fine, but isn't useful for automated processing.

If anyone has a way better of doing a command line conversion to a pdf while honouring in particular the 'brochure' setting, I'd be grateful.

(This is with LO 6.4.7.2 under mint 20)

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England