Hi, some update...

1) StarCluster stable release 0.92rc2 has new features that make
running larger clusters (100+ instances) real easy. The new additions
like dynamic cluster size grow & shrink would reduce the cost of
operating semi-permanent clusters (where jobs arrive unpredictably
during the lifetime of the cluster), and change in the bootstrap
process makes starting larger clusters faster and more reliable. Also,
support for Spot, Cluster-Compute, and GPU Instances were added (late
last year, I believe).

See: http://web.mit.edu/stardev/cluster/features.html

One thing that LSF and Project Hedeby have but missing in StarCluster
is cloud bursting, which sounds useful in theory but I am have not
seen a lot of adaptions in the real world. I have not used or
testdriven cloud bursting before, but I believe with a few lines (200
lines max) of shell scripting to setup VPN connections to the remote
EC2 nodes, and not provision a qmaster on EC2, then cloud bursting can
be implemented with StarCluster. (Contact me offline if you are
interested in this - I started hacking the StarCluster code a bit
already.)

2) And the BioTeam integrates StarCluster with Opscode Chef, so you
can automate many of the administrative tasks (create users, package
management, service setup, etc) of EC2 SGE clusters:

http://bioteam.net/2011/03/dude-you-got-some-chef-in-my-starcluster/

While I have more experience with IBM Tivoli & Puppet, I am really
impressed with the Chef EC2 module. And Chef is gaining quite a lot of
momentum lately. E.g. Dell recently open sourced Crowbar, which is an
OpenStack installer based on Chef.

I will wait for Puppet Enterprise 2.0, which is supposed to have new
EC2 & VMware provisioning & orchestration capabilities, and see how
Puppet compares with Chef before I decide if I am switching to Chef.
But configuration management is real and it can cut down a lot of IT
infrastructure maintenance.

Rayson