On 25 May 2012 10:10, Richard Ems <richard....@cape-horn-eng.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I searched through the mailing list and tried using google, but couldn't
> found an answer to my question.
>
> The (simplified) situation:
>
> We have a group of nodes with 12 slots.
> We submit there parallel jobs requesting 4 or 12 slots.
> We defined 2 PEs allocating 4 or 12 slots and associated to that group
> of nodes in one queue.
What do you mean be PE allocating 4 or 12 slots.  You have 4 or 12 in
the allocation rule.  Or the
slots field
> Max_reservation is set to 20 (now increased to 50, what are the
> implications of this?).
> s_rt is set to 31536000 (which is one year time in seconds).
> default_duration was set to 8760 (one year also, changed now to 9999)
>
> What we see now is that, despite setting a higher priority and asking
> for reservation with "-R y" when submitting jobs to the 12 slots PE,
> jobs previously submitted with lower priority and no reservation and
> asking for the 4 slots PE get started before the previous one.
>
> Is this expected behavior or are we doing a configuration error? Or is
> it a bug? Or a feature?
It depends somewhat on what else is going on.  If the 4 slot jobs are
shorter they might be getting
in via backfill.  Alternatively  there might be jobs of higher
priority than your 12 slot jobs eating all the reservations
for other purposes.  Fourthly the reservation behavior can sometimes
be less than optimal when selecting where to run.

I'd recommend enabling the schedule log file and taking a look at what
is happening.