Am 25.05.2012 um 12:35 schrieb Richard Ems:

> On 05/25/2012 12:27 PM, Daniel Gruber wrote:
>> Exactly, looks like your runtime estimation for your slot4 jobs
>> is smaller than for your slot12 jobs. Backfilling must be active
>> here. Did you submit both jobs in exactly the same way with
>> s_rt? Try to set for your 4slot jobs the runtime higher than for
>> your 12slot jobs.
>
> No, this is not the case. All jobs are being started with the same s_rt
> value set.
>
> Have your read my *thoughts* on a previous response to William Hay?
> Here they are again:

> But thinking more on it ... perhaps because the 3 jobs J[123]_4 -
> started on a 12 slots node N1 - got started at different times, the last
> one started could have been started *after* another job J4_12 running on
> 12 slots on node N2.
> So job J3_4 will end *after* J4_12 - since both have equal
> default_duration - and therefore N2 gets reserved and N1 starts another
> Jn_4 4 slots job when one of J[12]_4 finishes ...
>
> Can anyone understand what I am trying to understand and explain in
> these two last sentences? 8)

Now I read it :) And you are right earliest start time is always preferred!
(one exception: there is an small enhancement in Univa Grid Engine, where you
can
configure that fulfilling soft requests should have higher priority than start
time
for PE jobs).
Since reservation can't kill jobs the reservation is done on the 12
slots host in case the latest job on your 4slots host has started
later than the 12 slots jobs. Here because it gets the "12 slots" request
fulfilled first. On the other host (if I understood correctly) it would have
only "8 slots" available at any time before the "12 slots" reservation.
But 8 slots are not enough...it does not speculate about job endings.

The behavior would be different when expected runtime is set smaller
as the real runtime and the duration is already exceeded. Then the
scheduler intervall is added to the duration in each scheduler interval.

Cheers,

Daniel

btw. It must be coincidence since I'm "Engineering" ;)