De : users-boun...@gridengine.org [users-boun...@gridengine.org] de la part de
Richard Ems [richard....@cape-horn-eng.com]
Date d'envoi : mercredi 8 août 2012 11:59
À : users@gridengine.org
Objet : Re: [gridengine users] Indicating number of CPU used by a script

On 08/08/2012 11:27 AM, Lionel SPINELLI wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question about how the qsub command can be use to indicate to the
> grid that the submitted script will use a specific number of CPU.
> The idea is that we are using genomic alignment tools that are software coded
> to manage multi-threading. The user decide on how many thread the genomic
> alignment will be launched and the software generate the required number of
> thread to execute the computation.
> So, when the users use the qsub command to launch such software, they decide
> the number of CPU to use. Often they use 10 CPU. Since the exec nodes have 16
> CPU each, the grid should be informed that no more than one of those script
> should run at a time on each node.
> Is it possible to add an option in the qsub command to indicate the grid how
> many CPU (slots) the script will consume?
>
> I have read plenty of doc on parallel environment and I made some tests but
> it seems that this is not what I need (if I understand well, PE will dispatch
> the script on multiple CPU while in my case the software itself manage its
> multi-threading).

PE is the way to go ! PE does not "dispatch the script ...".
And you are probably talking about cores, not CPUs, right?

So, for starting a parallel job on X cores, create first a PE, add it to
your queue, and then submit the script to that queue requesting the
usage of the PE and the number of needed slots:

qsub   -pe my_nice_pe 10   my_beautiful_queue.q   my_script.sh

Using a PE, GE will create a hostfile file (check the $PE_HOSTFILE
variable in your script) which you may have to adapt for your usage. Are
you using mpi ? Can the program be run on more than one node ?

Later you will probably want to dig deeper into exclusive node usage and
how to define the PE to not distribute the slots across nodes ... See
allocation_rule, man sge_pe .

cheers,
Richard

--