Hi Chris,

prolog, job script and epilog are separate processes getting launched by the
shepherd. They get started as the job owner (but I think there also is an
option to start prolog and epilog as root - to be handled with care, of
course). So the prolog is well suited to check things (e.g. whether a mount is
there) or to the "pave the way“ for the job, i.e. create stuff which the job is
expecting (copy some files, for instance). But the job doesn’t run in the same
context as the prolog - they are different processes as already mentioned.

If you need the job to run "inside" of an environment which gets created by
something akin to a prolog then a trick you can use is to wrap the shepherd.
I.e. you rename the shepherd binary, you replace it with your own code which
does some magic before it needs to exec the real shepherd (which then will run
prolog, job script and epilog).

Hope this helps,

Fritz

> Am 08.06.2016 um 13:00 schrieb Chris Dagdigian <d...@sonsorol.org>:
>

> Hey folks -- need my brain refreshed on prolog behavior ...
>
> Trying to figure out if a prolog script would be suitable for dramatically
> changing the execution environment -- doing things like NFS filesystem
> unmounts or chroot actions so that an incoming job would execute in the
> changed environment.
>
> I can see the prolog running as 'me' and as a child of the sge_shepherd
> daemon but I don't have enough of a test lab setup to confirm that the prolog
> is running on the execution host and if the parent/child process relationship
> is such that chroot jail actions performed by a prolog would be where the
> jobscript ends up running....
>
> Anyone have a quick answer? Thanks!
>
> Chris

Fritz Ferstl | CTO and Business Development, EMEA
Univa Corporation <http://www.univa.com/> | The Data Center Optimization Company
E-Mail: ffer...@univa.com | Phone: +49.941.5695.9351 | Mobile: +49.170.819.7390