Hi,

Am 26.10.2017 um 23:31 schrieb Christopher Heiny:

> Hi folks,
>
> We're using OGS 2011.11p1.  qrsh has been configured to use ssh for
> connections.  This worked fine when we were running with no firewall,
> but the InfoSec team recently specified that all unused ports must be
> firewalled (actually, a rather sensible thing to do).

This depends on the cluster setup. The headnode which is connected to the
outside world needs a firewall on this interface for sure. But inside the
cluster, either in this interface of the headnode or the nodes themselves,
there is usually no need for a firewall. MPI would have a similar problem
(while there you can define a range of used ports for some implementations).

Are you issuing `qrsh` on the headnode of the cluster? As a direct connection
from the node to the machine where the command was issued is necessary, often
it's not a local machine outside of the cluster.

> Unfortunately, it looks like qrsh chooses the ssh port at random.

Yes.

-- Reuti