On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 03:41:07PM +0000, Mun Johl wrote:
> Hi Skyler, Reuti,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> Please see my comments below.
>
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 08:03 AM PDT, Reuti wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Am 25.04.2019 um 16:53 schrieb Mun Johl <mun.j...@kazan-networks.com>:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm using 'qacct -P' in the hope of tracking metrics on a per project
> > > basis.  I am getting data out of qacct, however I don't fully comprehend
> > > what the data is trying to tell me.
> > >
> > > I've searched the man pages and web for definitions of the output of
> > > qacct, but I have not been able to find a complete reference (just bits
> > > and pieces here and there).
> > >
> > > Can anyone point me to a complete reference so that I can better
> > > understand the output of qacct?
> >
> > There is a man page about it:
> >
> > man accounting
>
> Well, I _did_ look at that prior to posting but I guess I just didn't
> see the keywords I was looking for.  So maybe I'll just ask the specific
> questions regarding my confusion.
>
> WALLCLOCK is pretty well defined by ru_wallclock.  So that's basically
> the total wall clock time the job was on the execution host.
>
> UTIME is user time used.
> STIME is system time used.
>
> Should (UTIME + STIME) >= WALLCLOCK?  It isn't in my case and is mainly
> why I am confused.  Or perhaps process wait time is not included?

It's going to depend on your operating system, but STIME tends to include
I/O wait. Note, though, that user and system time are measured in terms of CPU
time: parallel jobs should exceed wallclock time because they're taking
advantage of multiple processors.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skyl...@u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354