From: Winnebeck, Jason [mailto:jason.winneb...@windstream.com]
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2016 6:40 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: RE: Groovy Hash Calculations

Here is how I would do it. I provide both a “short” solution and a “long” one.
I would use the “short” solution if I was making for example a developer only
tool and I knew I was only hashing small things for example a configuration
file in a build script and want a one-liner. Otherwise I’d use the “long”
version.

//If the content is guaranteed to be short:
def content = new ByteArrayInputStream("Here be dragons".bytes)
println MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA1").digest(content.bytes).encodeHex()

//If the content might be arbitrarily long:
content = new ByteArrayInputStream("Here be dragons".bytes)
def digest = MessageDigest.getInstance("SHA1")
content.eachByte(4096) { bytes, len ->
  digest.update(bytes, 0, len)
}
println digest.digest().encodeHex()