First and foremost, thank you all for the quick responses, I respect the awareness and willingness to engage and you have been sharing plenty of information that gives some clues to an outsider.

Dear OC,

I'm not suggesting the enforcement of a real-time platform, I just miss having the option, and it really seems to stand out even among niche languages. (Just like the bureaucracy around tickets stands out from usual FOSS projects. Discussions in Github issues are often super valuable, unless the maintainers have the Gulp mindset.)

I would say each to their own. A mailing list doesn't even really have a GUI and for what it's worth, it took me at least a week to get myself to formulate a possibly unpleasant message like this. The entry point really is high. I don't think all those indie communities, from Prolog and Raku to Factor and Uiua, from PHP to Pascal (to name some slowly shrinking old giants as well) make a mistake by offering some real-time, lower-barrier means to get involved.

I have admittedly had a lot of conflicts in my activity in FOSS (or just volunteering) communities - perhaps not unrelated to the fact that I go ahead and ask the problematic questions - but I don't think it has ever been a problem that I didn't take the expectable effort to learn or solve something. I'm among the people who ask "micro questions" while trying to learn something better - "why does this happen", "is there a better way to solve this", "how does this compare to X in given other language", "where can I learn more about this specific thing" and so on. For me this overhead of having to use a forum - a rather inconvenient one at that, if I may - is rather discouraging in itself. I don't feel this is a very organic way of learning - let alone getting a more "native" feel of how the language is being used, developed, and so on.

... and then I realize I'm writing a massive wall of text that couldn't really elaborate or highlight the points or questions I had and wasted both my and the potential readers'/answerers' time, just like now.

I don't know if there is any conclusion we could draw.

Have a nice day.
Martin