Hello Anand,
   Please try by updating the line AllowOverride None by
   AllowOverride AuthConfig or AllowOverride All

Regards,
Sandeep

K Anand wrote:

Hi all,

I have a very basic question regarding authentication on apache...I have in
my httpd.conf a section like below :
<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "By Invitaion Only"
   AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/passwd/passwords
   Require valid-user

   AllowOverride None
   Options ExecCGI
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

So whenever a browser first sends a cgi-bin request, authentication is done
by userid and password...Whenever subsequent requests come for cgi-bin,
authentication is not required provided the browser has not been closed. How
is this done ?

I know that this is not a problem but I would like to know just for my
information.

Thanx
Anand

--------------------------------------------------------------------- The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project. See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info. To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] " from the digest: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Disclaimer:

The contents of this message are confidential and intended to the addressee at
the specified e-mail address only. Its contents may not be copied or disclosed
to anyone other than the intended recipient. If this e-mail is received in
error, please contact Vertex Software Pvt. Ltd immediately on +91 20 56041500
with details of the sender and addressee and delete the e-mail. Vertex Software
Pvt. Ltd accepts no responsibility in the event that the onward transmission,
opening or use of this message and/or any attachments adversely affects the
recipient's systems or data. It is the recipient's responsibility to carry out
such virus and other checks as the recipient considers appropriate.