Maxim-

  Depends on what you want, how much there is, and how fast you want it.
Oh.. Also depends on whether you want it to cost anything or not.

  If you want demographics and what-not, which are reliable (not whois
based), then go with something commercial since they generally maintain
some sort of demographic database. If you just want basic stats, look into
the opensource stuff.
  You might also find, if your hitcount is relatively low, that
outsourcing is the way to go. That involves an include which is generally
javascript, which runs on the client when they hit your site.
  I use Webtrends. I wrote something quite some time ago, but the hitcount
was too high to maintain real-time stats. It also got to be something that
I did not have time to maintain. With Webtrends (which I run on 2k3), I
have some rsyncing which runs from all web servers (including a farm, and
a few singles), to the logging box. The same code cleans old logs from the
servers, and gzips older log files on the log server (webtrends will unzip
and cache logs as it needs them). It costs some bucks, but I don't have to
look or touch for months at a time. And it's realtime to the halfhour. I'm
doing between 15-20M hits per day with it from various sources.

  If your hitcount is low, you may be able to just do it on your server.
Perhaps setup a virtualhost to handle the interface as well (to the
products you mentioned). It may be better that way if you're not talking
gigs of logs.

  There are a million ways to handle this, none of which are really worse
than another. You may never find anything that is perfect in your
scenario. I think that's why perl exists though.