> Maxim-
>
>   Depends on what you want, how much there is, and how fast you want it.
> Oh.. Also depends on whether you want it to cost anything or not.

OK, fair enough.
The server has a hit count of ~50MB/day for the access log.
I do wish it to be a FreeSoftware/OpenSource solution - just makes me
fell better.

>   If you want demographics and what-not, which are reliable (not whois
> based), then go with something commercial since they generally maintain
> some sort of demographic database. If you just want basic stats, look into
> the opensource stuff.

Not much demographics in my case, most of the hits are just from on location.

>   You might also find, if your hitcount is relatively low, that
> outsourcing is the way to go. That involves an include which is generally
> javascript, which runs on the client when they hit your site.

Could you please explain what do you mean by outsourcing ?
Is it "live counter", so that the user's browser goes to "check in"
into some counter server that logs "a hit" ?  If that is the case I'd
rather not do this, I consider this an unneeded burden on the client.

>   I use Webtrends. I wrote something quite some time ago, but the hitcount
> was too high to maintain real-time stats. It also got to be something that
> I did not have time to maintain. With Webtrends (which I run on 2k3), I
> have some rsyncing which runs from all web servers (including a farm, and
> a few singles), to the logging box. The same code cleans old logs from the
> servers, and gzips older log files on the log server (webtrends will unzip
> and cache logs as it needs them). It costs some bucks, but I don't have to
> look or touch for months at a time. And it's realtime to the halfhour. I'm
> doing between 15-20M hits per day with it from various sources.

Looks nice, but commercial.
Thanks for mentioning it though.

>   If your hitcount is low, you may be able to just do it on your server.
> Perhaps setup a virtualhost to handle the interface as well (to the
> products you mentioned). It may be better that way if you're not talking
> gigs of logs.

This is the main issue, for a year I do expect at least a 5-6 gigs of logging.
This is why I ask for a "recommend" test case.

>   There are a million ways to handle this, none of which are really worse
> than another. You may never find anything that is perfect in your
> scenario. I think that's why perl exists though.

Yup.

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).