We have been trying to cut down our bandwidth usage by
disallowing access for many spammers and malevolent
bots. We are currently doing it via .htaccess and
respond with the "403 Forbidden" code.

However, this still costs us some bandwidth. What we
would like to do is close the connection without even
responding to any bad's visitor request. Bad visitor
is detected by examining the user agent and/or
referrer, or requested URI (never by examining the IP
address).

Is this possible to do on Apache (running on Red Hat)?
Thanks in advance.

Yahoo! Mail