Thanks Andre

I am not using third party modules, however, let me explain why I am concerned
about simply installing the new version.

My server has Redhat 9 and Apache was not installed in /usr/local/apache/ but
in /etc/httpd/ . There is no sign of files that are
often mentioned on installation tutorials, such as config.nice for example.
Rather than ignore the compatibility notice on the
Apache web-site, I scanned the documentation (Yes Patrick, I have tried) and
searched Google to make sure that nothing untoward
would happen. A couple of people posting on various forums were in the same
situation and one did install the new version and
reported that Apache was not working at all then!

Maybe I am over-cautious but can you tell me what is incompatible in versions
prior to 2.0.42? Is it just the Third Party modules
issue? Is there anything else I need to consider because of the way Apache was
installed by Red Hat?

Ideally Apache could have said on their 'Announcement' page "This release is
compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later
versions and this is what to do if you have an earlier version".

Sincerely

Tom Sayers