On 6/19/05, Tom Sayers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maybe I am over-cautious but can you tell me what is incompatible in versions
> prior to 2.0.42? Is it just the Third Party modules
> issue? Is there anything else I need to consider because of the way Apache
> was installed by Red Hat?

There may be small incompatibilities in httpd.conf directives or
./configure options, but it is mostly the third-party module interface
that has changed.  But yes, you do need to worry about other things
when changing from a vendor supplied version to an apache.org-version.
 See below.

> Ideally Apache could have said on their 'Announcement' page "This release is
> compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later
> versions and this is what to do if you have an earlier version".

This is documented in the install docs.

But your problem is more related to Redhat than to apache-proper.  Are
you planning to follow the redhat upgrade path (using rpms)?  If so,
you really need to consult a redhat forum to see what to do, since we
(well, at least "I") don't know anything about the changes they have
made.

If you are moving from the Redhat packages to the ones from
httpd.apache.org, you still will have some issues.  As you noticed,
things are installed in completely different places.  So I recommend
one of two paths:
- Wipe your rpm-version of apache, and do a fresh install to /usr/local/apache2.
- Find the source-rpm (or, more likely multiple source-rpms) for your
installed apache, extract the compilation options, and use them with
the new version.

In other words, there is no easy upgrade path from an vendor-supplied
version of apache to the apache.org version.  There isn't anything we
can do about that because of the changes that vendors make.  So either
stick with vendor versions and use their upgrade, or wipe it clean and
start from scratch with an apache.org version.

Joshua.