On 6/24/05, Werner Schalk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use mod_rewrite to overwrite the environment variable
> REMOTE_ADDR with the value of HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR because I am using Apache
> 2 in a reverse / forward proxy scenario where the original IP address of the
> client is not passed on to the internal Apache server:

> I have posted this several weeks ago but all the solutions did not work for
> me. So I tried this mod_rewrite rule:

I already explained to you that you can't do this:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200506.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
Is there some part of that you didn't understand?

> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^(.*) [env=REMOTE_ADDR:%{HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR}]

This is broken because it is trying to rewrite to the URL "[env...".
You need a dash after the patter to indicate that no rewriting will
occur.  But as I've already told you, it won't work anyway.

Joshua.