On 7/8/05, Boyle Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I did truncate the referer part thoug (as it was quite long). Could it
> > be that the referrer contains illegal characters?
>
> You already sent this reply - did you mean to add something?
>
> What do you mean about truncating the Referer? I get the impression you think
> that the Referer is the thing after the "?" in the URL - it's not; that's the
> query string.

Not, it is the referrer. Gmail adds line breaks where there shouldn't be.

Another exampke:
[Thu Jul 07 06:10:28 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] request failed:
error reading the headers, \
referer: http://xx.yy.ch:7100/Portal?cmd=nh&nav=url=homepage

I know it is the referrer, and not the query string, as this server is
never queried with these URLs.

Maybe its better I give some background.

Our server servers wml and xhtml pages for mobile phones. On the
server run two apache webservers, and two application servers. One
application server runs a content renderer, that will make sure that
mobile phones get appropriate content (mostly involves resizing
images) the other runs the webportal itself.

Basically a client requests a page from the webserver1, which forwards
it to appserver1 (the content renderer). This one then requests the
page from appserver2 (the portal). It then looks at the content
returned, and fetches all images referred from webserver2, resizes
them, caches them and mangles the links referring to these images in
the content it passes back to webserver1, which passes it back to the
phone.

The requests that cause these problems are all from appserver1 to
webserver2. The referrer is the URL of the page appserver1 fetched at
appserver2, and for which it now wants to fetch the images.

Might it be that appserver1 occasionally sends malformed HTTP
requests? From the repsonses I got so far this would be the case. It
is what I am investigating right now anyway.

Krist

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Solothurn, Switzerland