<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry for the most elemental of situations but I am
> new to the web
> development arena and am interested in building
> WB-database applications
> for friends and family.  I used to be a programmer
> back in the early
> 70's (BAL, COBOL, FORTRAN, RPG, CRTs linked to
> mainframes, you get the
> picture) and I got nominated to build a web-based
> hobby/business.

Sounds like WE could all learn a thing or two from
YOU!

> I operate on a home network consisting of a laptop
> with MS-Office XP
> Standard and a desktop (my son's) with MS-Office XP
> Professional, both
> of which are Version 2002.  I am PC literate as it
> relates to MS Office,
> Excel, Word and PowerPoint and have never done
> anything through MS DOS.
> I have high speed internet through Road Runner.

IMO, the best tool a web developer can have is a good
text editor. But I digress. When I had RoadRunner
internet, I ran my own web server on my network. You
just need to give it it's own IP address, or set up
port forwarding from your router. Most DNS providers
offer a dynamic IP service. You set up a program on
your server that automatically detects and updates
your IP with the DNS provider. I had this setup for
several months and it worked like a charm.

> I would like to initially build a web server and
> applications on my home
> network for learning/experimenting (no one but me
> will have access)
> before I venture out of my box.
>
> From my initial very broad-based reading, it seems I
> should work with
> Apache, PHP and MySQL as well learn the basics of
> HTML and SQL which I
> have already started.

Excellent idea. I noticed another user reccomended you
set up a Linux box. I second that wholeheartedly. You
can use an old throwaway PC or one that someone is
getting rid of. Just set up a good Linux distro
without a GUI or any of the fancy stuff you don't need
and it will make a fine web/php/MySQL server. I've got
an old K6 266Mhz with 72mb of RAM on my internal
network doing just that. It also makes a handy MP3
server so I can listen at any computer in the house
(and even my Xbox!)

> Does anyone have sources you can point me to and/or
> thoughts on how best
> to proceed without feeling totally overwhelmed
> moving forward with my
> new ambition?
>
> Thanks for any empathy and I apologize if there was
> a better forum for
> my question,
>
> Dave

Good luck and welcome to PHP!