I read something about publishing .htaccess files
online that suggested they require special attention.
As I recall, it said you can't publish them as BINARY
files. If so, does that mean I can't publish it online
with Dreamweaver? Would I be able to use CuteFTP and
simply drag and drop it into the online pane on the
right?

I didn't see anything about it on this page:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/htaccess.html

Thanks.