> Joe> Are these all simple static files, or is /out/ handled by some CGI
> Joe> script etc?
>
> Joe, you're right - they do get passed through a Perl script for
> processing.  However, unless I'm mistaken, I don't THINK the following
> code would produce the kind of problems I'm seeing:

OK, no, it's not your code at fault, it's a bug in httpd.  You can apply
this patch: http://people.apache.org/~jorton/ap_byterange.diff and I
guess I should really submit this for backport to 2.0.x.

Joe, thanks for the patch.  I'll apply it and see if it helps.

One last followup question, though. It seems like there must be tons of sites in the world doing what I'm doing - serving a large amount of downloads. And probably most of those sites are running Apache, and probably a lot of them are using Apache 2.0.x . How is it that they don't seem to have the same problem? If this bug has survived in Apache 2 this long, it must be fairly obscure. Is there some unique set of circumstances that is causing this bug to affect only me and a few others, and not a large number of other Apache servers?

Thanks again.