It was thus said that the Great Stuart Gall once stated:

> Hello,
> As I understand it <Location something>
> and <Directory something>
> are equivalent except Location refers from the Document root

  Not quite.  <Location> refers to the URL, *not* the directory.

  For example:

        http://bible.conman.org/

  Actually, go there.  You'll notice that there's *only* a "robots.txt" file
and nothing else.  Yet, go to:

        http://bible.conman.org/kj/Genesis.6:9-9:17

  And you'll get the Biblical story of the flood.  What's going on here?
Here's the relevent configuration from my server:

<VirtualHost 66.165.166.133>
  ServerName    bible.conman.org
  ServerAdmin   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  DocumentRoot  /http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/htdocs
  CustomLog     /http/spc/logs/bible.conman.org combined

  <Directory /http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/htdocs>
    Options             All
    AllowOverride       All
  </Directory>

  <Location /kj/>
    LitbookDir          /http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/bible
    LitbookTranslation  /http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/thebooks
    LitbookIndex        http://literature.conman.org/bible/
    LitbookTLD          /kj/
    LitbookTitle        "The Electric King James"
    SetHandler          litbook-handler
  </Location>
</VirtualHost>

  The directory is "/http/spc/sites/bible.conman.org/htdocs" under which,
there's not much there.  *But* the location "/kj" is controlled by a custom
written module that handles the requests.

> So I have apache 2.0.50 installed on Mandrake
> In one of my virtual hosts I have
>
>          <Location />
>                  Allow from all
>          </Location>
>
>          <Location /ppm/storyboard>
>                  Options +Indexes
>                  Allow from all                               **
>          </Location>
>
> When I go to this location with a web browser I see the directory index
> but with no files UNLESS
> I also include
>
>          <Directory /document root>
>                  Allow from all
>          </Directory>
>
> I do not see any files listed.
>
> Why do I need the double Allow from all ??

  My guess is that you could remove the "Allow" from the <Location>
directive, but keep it for the <Directory> and it will still work.
<Location> refers to URL space, *not* the directory space.

  -spc (Who wrote the above module for a "proof-of-concept" for an idea
        I had)