On 21 Aug 2005, at 17:39, Joshua Slive wrote:

So I have apache 2.0.50 installed on Mandrake

A little bit of an old version.

OK It comes with mandrake 10.1 and I am a bit lazy :-)
The latest version is 2.0.54 and
http://ftp.physics.auth.gr/pub/mirrors/apache/httpd/CHANGES_2.0
doesn't mention anything relevant (AFAICS) between .50 and .54

Perhaps Ill upgrade and see.

In one of my virtual hosts I have

        <Location />
                Allow from all
        </Location>

        <Location /ppm/storyboard>
                Options +Indexes
                Allow from all                         **
        </Location>

When I go to this location with a web browser I see the directory
but with no files UNLESS
I also include

        <Directory /document root>
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

I do not see any files listed.

Why do I need the double Allow from all ??
Or more interestingly if access to the location is denied why dont I
get a forbidden message instead of an empty listing ?

Interesting.  If you request the files inside the directory directly,
does it work?

Yes you can access the files. Accessing the files of course has nothing
to do with mod_autoindex.
It is as if the execute right is removed from the directory.

I haven't tested this myself, but my guess is that mod_autoindex
(which generates the directory listings) is doing a file-level
sub-request on each entry in the directory to see if it is accessible.
 For some reason this sub-request is not processing the <Location>
sections, only the <Directory> sections.

Makes sense.
A bug then, or perhaps a security feature?

You still can see the directory itself because the main request is
honoring the <Location> section.

Stuart Gall
Systems Administrator