----- Original Message -----
From: "Soheil Noori Bushehri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Why userdir does not work
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:29:27 +0430

> Hi,
>
> Is there any idea why UserDir may not work as instructed in the manual?
> That is, although there is a
>
> UserDir    public_html
>
> (and it is the only userdir directive) in httpd.conf, when I try to
> access http://localhost/~soheil/, I get the error
>
>       Forbidden
>       You don't have permission to access /~soheil/ on this server.
>
> The other relevant settings in httpd.conf:

> LoadModule userdir_module modules/mod_userdir.so
>
> # actual userdir setting is :
> <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
>      UserDir  public_html
> </IfModule>
>
> # directory setting :
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>      AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
>      Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
>      Order allow,deny
>      Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> And some bash checkings:
>
> bash> ls  -ld  /home  /home/soheil  /home/soheil/public_html
> drwxr-xr-x   5 root   root   4096 Aug 23 18:30 /home
> drwxr-xr-x  52 soheil soheil 4096 Sep  4 16:06 /home/soheil
> drwxr-xr-x   4 soheil soheil 4096 Sep  4 00:46 /home/soheil/public_html
>
> bash> ls  -la   /home/soheil/public_html
> drwxr-xr-x   4 soheil soheil 4096 Sep  4 00:46 .
> drwxr-xr-x  52 soheil soheil 4096 Sep  4 17:20 ..
> -rw-r--r--   1 soheil soheil  248 Sep  4 00:46 index.html
>

> OS is Fedora Core 4.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Soheil Noori Bushehri
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The usual suspect would be Selinux. Esp. if you've recently installed/upgraded.
You've got to set the right context on ~/public_html so apache can read it.

Start here for selinux issues http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

Regards

Graffiti.net free e-mail @ www.graffiti.net
Check out our value-added Premium features, such as a 1 GB mailbox for just
US$9.95 per year!