On 9/19/05, Oscar Haeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What I'd like to know is if SuExec somehow prevents me from running scripts
> via
> symlinks.
> I have a webserver with SuExec installed and I'd like to be able to run
> scripts
> that resides in other peoples cgi-bin directories. I've tested this but
> haven't
> been able to get it to work.

Well, yeah.  Allowing anything symlinked to get executed by suexec
would violate the basic security model.  I agree that neither the
error message nor the docs are very explicit about this, but I think
the assumption is that security-minded people will know that a program
like suexec must forbid symlinks to do its job.

If you know a little c, then reading the suexec.c source code makes
things clear:
    /*
     * Error out if we cannot stat the program.
     */
    if (((lstat(cmd, &prg_info)) != 0) || (S_ISLNK(prg_info.st_mode))) {
        log_err("cannot stat program: (%s)\n", cmd);
        exit(117);
    }

Joshua.