On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 09:11 -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 9/20/05, Christopher Sean Hilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

> > Why does this work:
> >
> > NameVirtualHost 64.204.249.112:80
>
> > Where this doesn't:
> >
> > NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> This isn't a very helpful response, but you should be aware that
> apache 1.3 from httpd.apache.org does not have ipv6 support.  Whatever
> support is in your build was patched in by freebsd.  It is certainly
> possible (and perhaps probable) that that patch is the source of your
> problems.  Hence you probably want to address your question to a
> freebsd forum, rather than an apache forum.

Well, if that's your definition of "not very helpful," then I hope to
have a problem on which you can be "helpful" 8-). Thanks for the
pointer. I suspected the problem had something to do with ipv6 support
and now that I see that it's a freebsd ipv6 patch I think that I can
point my query over there and see what's up.

Just out of curiosity is there a canonical document that explains how
the NameVirtualHost/VirtualHost mechanism works? The reason that I ask
is because I'm having trouble modeling what apache is doing with this
section of the configuration. I thought that I got it when I went to a:

     NameVirtualHost *

     <VirtualHost *>
     ServerName foo.example.com
     DocumentRoot /var/www/foo.example.com/
     </VirtualHost>

     <VirtualHost *>
     ServerName bar.example.com
     DocumentRoot /var/www/foo.example.com/
     </VirtualHost>

     <VirtualHost *>
     ServerName baz.example.com
     DocumentRoot /var/www/foo.example.com/
     </VirtualHost>

And that seems to work on all of my webservers (probably I flubbed it
when I added the ipv6 flavor to the port).

In my head apache has a table of virtual host configurations indexed by
ServerName or ServerAlias. It parses the Name needed from the request
out of the URI, looks for a match in the table and then loads the
apropriate parameters out of the corresponding vhost configuration.

Is this correct?

-- Chris