I want to benchmark a php program I wrote and I know Apache has a
benchmarking tool.  However, I've never used it and I don't know a thing
about benchmarking.  What are some general rules of thumb for doing a
benchmark?  How would I use the benchmarking tool in Apache to get real
world like results?  I'm sure I'm missing some questions but if anyone has
suggestions I would love to hear them as I have never done this before.

thanks for any help!