Gary, thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

If possible, could you clarify how I should format the _default_
virtualhost entry?

A typical virtualhost entry in my conf looks like this:

-----------
<VirtualHost xx.36.161.82>
ServerAlias mydomain.com
ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DocumentRoot /home/mydomain/public_html
BytesLog domlogs/mydomain.com-bytes_log
ServerName www.mydomain.com

User mydomain
Group mydomain
CustomLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/mydomain.com combined
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/mydomain/public_html/cgi-bin/
</VirtualHost>

What parts of that should I alter to create a _default_ virtualhost?

Should I simply replace the "mydomain.com" with "ServerAlias *.*", and
"Servername www.mydomain.com" with "*.*.*"?

Sorry, again, for my lack of clue on this, I really am finding this
bewildering.

Thanks,

Donnacha