We are having a strange problem with our PHP sites and I was wondering
of someone has any pointers to offer.
We are running apache 2.0.55 with mod_perl 2.0.1 and php 4.3.3 and
mod_ssl 2.0.55 on  a Sun Solaris machine.  Every now and then, when you
click on a URL that is a php script, instead of the file executing, a
File Download panel opens and it asks if you want to  save it to your
computer.  It is as if it does not recognize that it is a php file.
Sometimes it actually displays the code of the file. The really strange
thing is that it appears to happen randomly.  That is, some times the
same link  works perfectly well and the links open properky.  But
sometimes, it asks if you want to save the file. If you click on Cancel
and then click on the link again, it usually opens properly.
We have the following line in httpd.conf:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml

Does that line belong in any particular place.  Originally it was in
the general part of the file and not in any <Directory> section.  I
added it to some of the <Directory> sections but it doesn't seem to have
made a diference.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is happening and how to fix the
problem?

Thanks for any help.

Malka Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
08-934-3036