From: "Joshua Kogut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> w00t. You got me on that one. I think this analogy is blown far out of the
> water by those smarter than I. Congrats *bows*. Ok, the real reason I
would
> rather have php than perl, is really two things. First, to use the toolbox
> [perl], you (should) need to know how to use every tool effectively, or at
> least most of them, the hammer [php] is the ONLY the tool you need.

The hammer is the only tool you need right now. But do you want to be a
master just in manipulating a hammer?
You will surely need more than a hammer in the future.

> Inexperienced users may see easier ways to do something with perl, but
> chances are, you can still do these things (related to web applications)
> with php. Note: Perl has tools to cover every aspect of your entire
> computing experience, it can make desktop applications, utilities, can do
> file management, etc. This results in a steep learning curve.

If you need perl or php just for web applications, why do you think perl
involves a steaper learning curve?
Just because it offers more tools? If you want you can learn using a single
tool if this is the problem.

Anotherbenefit for php, is that it is SIMPLE, and simple doesn't always mean
> limited. It means simple. It results in a language that I, a relative
> beginner to php (only been using it for a year and a half now) can make an
> entire web site, login system, custom session handlers, full database
> support (mysql, yeah!) basic file management, user uploading, automatic
> payment system (paypal, yeah!), automatic xml/rss feed generation, mass
> emailing system (spam, yeah! lol), HAND-BUILT message boards, etc.
>
> How many scripts do you see for the front/back end of a website that
involve
> perl? I don't see very many, on the other hand, php has many freely
> available scripts that do everything that I have just said could be done
in
> less than 5 hours. Note: I am NOT recommending php because of the amount
of
> free scripts that are out there, this is an example of its popularity. As
> stated by a popular wiki,

Ok, this part of your message shows that you don't know too many things
about perl. Have you heard about CPAN?
Try search.cpan.org and see how many thousands or tens of thousands free
perl libraries you will find for everything you might need there.
If you want to install something from CPAN, just do:

cpan
cpan> install Library::Name

Is this too hard to learn or to use?

<http://en.wikipedia.org>>--------------------------------
> One major part of PHP which has helped it become popular is that it is a
> very loose language; in particular, it is dynamically
> typed<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_typing>.
> That is, the rules are not as strict with variables—they do not have to be
> declared and they can hold any type of object. Arrays are heterogeneous,
> meaning a single array can contain objects of more than one type.

And? This is an advantage comparing PHP with Perl?
In perl is exactly the same, or better said php is the same as perl, since
perl was created much time before php.

> According to Netcraft <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcraft>'s April
> 2002<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002>survey, PHP is now the most
> deployed server-side scripting language, running
> on around 9 million of the 37 million
> domains<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain>in their survey. This is
> confirmed by PHP's own figures, which show PHP
> usage (measured on a per-domain basis) growing at around 5% per month. In
> May 2003, almost 13 million domains were using PHP, based on the same
> source.[1] <http://www.php.net/usage.php>

Oh yes, Visual Basic is also used very much. And Windows is also used much
more than Unix. Because they are better, right? :-)

> Due to PHP's popularity in the web space, a new breed of programmers
emerged
> who are familiar only with PHP. This encouraged the development of a
command
> line interface for PHP, as well as GUI libraries such as
> GTK+<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK>and text mode libraries like
> Ncurses <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ncurses> and Newt. This was a major
> step for PHP, because it helped move it from being a language used only
for
> CGI to a general-purpose programming language. On the desktop it has been
> favored by some new programmers as a rapid prototyping environment. It is
> both a quick and effective tool for create rapid web applications with
ease,
> greatly improving any website as a whole.
> </en.wikipedia.org>----------------------
>  So, php isn't just a web language, it is also a general purpose
programming
> language. lol, php is powerful, no doubt about it, but there is one thing

Do you know what it means "by some new programmers"?
Have you created Windows GUIs using PHP? Have you seen how well developed
are the PHP libraries that can do that?
Do you know that in perl you can use Win32::GUI for Windows, WX, GTK2, TK
for Windows and other operating systems and not a single library for
creating GUIs?
And those libraries are much well developed and really used, not only
mentioned in Wikipedia.

> you should know, that you don't have to go either php OR perl, you can
> choose php AND perl, for the sick, sick people that want to learn both
> languages.

PHP is better for some sites that don't require following strict rules or
W3C recommendations, like not mixing the html content with the programming
code, or for sites that don't need to run very fast when a high traffic
occurs. Of course, most of the sites need simple things, so PHP is very OK
for them.
But not more than that.

Teddy