I am looking to set up some caching apache servers to offload commonly accessed
static content.  We had been using IBM's WebSphere Edge Components 5.0.2 until
we started experiancing issues where the ibmproxy process would constantly
crash, but not in any sort of predictable manner.  We currently deployed apache
2.0.52 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES (update 3).  I enabled mod_cache as well
as mod_mem_cache and mod_disk_cache in my test environment.  I was expecting to
see entries in the CacheRoot folder, which is owned by the user that the apache
process is running as.  I basicly took the sample httpd.conf from the apache
site and modified it to fit my environment.

<IfModule mod_cache.c>

#LoadModule disk_cache_module modules/mod_disk_cache.so
<IfModule mod_disk_cache.c>

CacheRoot /opt/www/div/mwdc/cacheroot
CacheSize 2000000
CacheEnable disk /opt/www/htdocs/gifts
CacheEnable disk /opt/local/htdocs/images
CacheDirLevels 5
CacheDirLength 3

</IfModule>

LoadModule mem_cache_module modules/mod_mem_cache.so
<IfModule mod_mem_cache.c>

CacheEnable mem /opt/www/htdocs/gifts
CacheEnable mem /opt/local/htdocs/gifts
MCacheSize 2000000
MCacheMaxObjectCount 1200
MCacheMinObjectSize 10240
MCacheMaxObjectSize 262114

</IfModule>
</IfModule>

I first tried the disk cache only, but never saw any entries in the CacheRoot,
so then I tried it with the mem_cache and still no entries.  I am not sure how
to verify if the cache works or not.  What I would like to use is the mem_cache
for the majority of the content and the disk_cache for other larger pdf type
files.  Is there anyone out there that knows how to verify if the cache is
working or not, or what I might have done wrong.  I can post the whole
httpd.conf file if needed.

Thanks