If the application is "Currently" only working on Apache 1.3, then I would
keep it there.

If you are going to start "Development" today, and it takes you a while
to get the new application online.  Then I would look at having the 2.x on
line also.  If the technology and any bugs are present as of today, it
really is a moot issue.  You do not have the application online or
ready to go yet currently.

If you want to know what is going on with 2.x then putting up a server in
a LAB environment only would be a good idea. That way you can test it
and see if the beta is going as planned, and also keep the patches up to
date so that you have a good idea on how your beta is running compared
to the 2.x version of apache.

HTH