Well Tom, I'm using apache 2.0.50 under SuSE 9.2 pro and
just added the following to httpd.conf, after my LoadModule statements:

SetEnv ErrLogPath /var/log/apache2/error_log
ErrorLog ${ErrLogPath}
LogLevel debug

All this does for my setup is create an error_log file under
/srv/www/ called ${ErrLogPath}.

Am I missing something?

What version of Apache are you using?

Do you have any concrete examples of usage please?

Keith

In practice they are not.