Fedora Core 4
Apache 2.0.54

I seem to be having this same problem.  I read the manual at:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/cgi.html#writing

and created the "first.pl" file. when I run "./first.pl" from the command
line, all it prints is:

and does not print the "Hello, World." at all.

And in my browser - it gives me the "Internal Server Error"

All it says in my error logs is:

[Thu Feb 23 08:55:35 2006] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Premature end of script headers: first.pl

If anyone could point me in the direction where I need to look, it would be
greatly appriciated

It sounds a lot like you are missing the empty line that terminates
the header.    This is the 'header' that initiates the transfer and
precedes the <html><head>... stuff.   It is usually sent for you when
the server reads and sends out a .html file.    But if you are running
a script or binary that is creating the content, you have to take care
of that little detail.

You need to start with a line something like:

eg.  in Perl, for example a print for the first of the data sent
   would look like:

 print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

////jerry

That's exactly what I have - here's the first.pl file:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello, World.";

Also - I guess ie does work via command line as shown:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] cgi-bin]# ./first.pl

Hello, [EMAIL PROTECTED] cgi-bin]#

Just "missed" it since it was on the same line - I then added a couple \n\n to it, and it prints nicely.

However, it does not display anything vai the browser - just the "Internal Server Error"

[Thu Feb 23 12:45:35 2006] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Premature end of script headers: first.pl

Thanks for the help.
Scott