That's the problem: as far as I remember, mod_expires adds the Expires header
after mod_cache has declined to cache the response. Therefore, adding the
expires header will not cause Apache to cache the response, but the client
agents (navigators) will.

If you can verify that what I wrote is correct, you may still have a way to add
the expires header before mod_cache intervenes by adding a reverse proxy
virtual host to your Apache server, at the expense of an additional HTTP
request.

                 __________     ___________
                 |         |    |          |
client ----------| reverse |----|    CGI   |
                 |  proxy  |    |   server |
                 -----------    ------------

The role of the reverse proxy would be:
- pass the requests to the CGI server using ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse
- cache the responses

The CGI server:
- generate/serve contents
- add the appropriate headers

You can do everything within the same Apache server by having two separate
virtual hosts, one for the RP and one for the CGI. The latter can listen on
127.0.0.1.

-ascs