Hi Joshua,
                 Thanks for you reply, but i checked every box and each one sends all the required headers like Last_Modified, Cache Control, Expires, etc (I am checking using Ethereal), also httpd -l gives this
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_expires.c
  mod_headers.c
  mod_php4.c
  mod_gzip.c

Even after this IE does not want to cache any objects....

Kishore Jalleda

On 3/17/06, Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 3/17/06, Kishore Jalleda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>      I compiled apache 1.3.34 with mod_expires module, and add the
> configuration in httpd.conf, as follows
> <Directory "/export/htdocs/">
> <IfModule mod_expires.c>
> ExpiresActive on
> ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 5 hours"
> ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 5 hours"
> ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 5 hours"
> ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 5 hours"
> ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access plus 5 hours"
> </IfModule>
>  </Directory>
>
> now when I try to load a page with lot of gif's for first time , i see that
> IE requests all the objects (gif, jpg, css, js etc),
> and I also see a expires header sent by apache, but when I load it the
> second time, i see that the number of packets between apache and IE have
> reduced but , IE still sends requests for *.gif files and apache responds
> with a 200 OK header, and sends all the gif's again, but surprising IE sends
> a If-Modified-Since header for objects like *.js, *.css, even though I
> haveen't included them in the conf, and apache nicely sends back a 304 and
> IE loads them from cache.
>
> on a test box with the exact conf, when I load a page second time, IE sends
> the If-Modified-Since header with the GET request and apache returns a 304
> not modified header thus IE loads the images not modified from its cache..
>
> so I am wondering what is happening here, I have tried this conf on 3 to 4
> production boxes but IE never ever sends the If-Modified-Since header with
> the GET request, so that apache can return a 304 not modified......
>
> is there somehting I am missing, its surprising its working as expected on
> the test box ...

Look at the full set of response headers sent by apache on each box.
Perhaps on one box its not sending a Last-Modified header (because of
processing by mod_include or something like that).

joshua.