It was thus said that the Great Markus Mayer once stated:

> I looked in the code and the manuals for the system calls.  It seems I have no
> control over this from apache.  I will have to look in the system itself, but
> I doubt I can change anything there.  If I find something I will report back
> to the list because it is certainly useful for other people.

  And there exists the possiblity of setting the timeout to infinity and
*still* have the reverse lookup fail, since there are plenty of ISPs that
don't bother with setting up PTR records for all their IP addresses.

  Now, with that said, you could certainly modify Apache to do multiple
attempts, wrapping the call to getnameinfo() in something like:

        /*----------------------------------
        ; demo code only---for demonstration
        ; purposes only!  You have been
        ; warned!
        ;-----------------------------------*/

        {
          int tries = 3;
          int rc;

          while(tries--)
          {
            rc = getnameinfo();
            if (rc == 0) break;
          }
        }

  But it's probably best not to do any DNS lookups at all.

  -spc (Or, you could modify the resolving libraries ... )