--- Nick Kew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Erm, can't tell from that whether you're on a fools
> errand.
> A sample conf per module would be exactly that.

I know, but it helps with what I'm wanting to do.

> We have discussed various possible updates for
> modules.apache.org.

now why didn't I ever see modules.apache.org even when
following the links in the httpd section of the site?
I must be blind.

>  These include improving the
> database,
> setting up a bot to read specs published by authors
> as RDF
> rather than having people enter stuff using web
> forms,
> updating apxs to search and fetch modules
> (CPAN-style)
> and incorporating additional security/stability
> information.
> Maybe you have a contribution to make to that
> discussion?

Adding the functionality to apsx to pull current data
from a database about available modules and being able
to download and install them?
I would recommend against the latter, since it can be
a seciruty issue for software to have the ability to
update itself like that.
[ malicious code injection ]
Adding better support for getting the information
about the moduls sounds good though.
Since the most common security exploits being found
are being done through bad scripting / sanitisation of
user input, I am really cautious about the possibility
of malicious code injections on servers.

> As regards, configuration, what matters is the
> underlying
> principles.  If you have them, you can easily follow
> the
> documentation of any particular module to configure
> it.
> Do you think apache's documentation needs improving?
>
> --
> Nick Kew

As far as documentation goes, apache's is among the
best for readability, once you understand the design
and terminology. My idea is more focussed on making a
configuration tutorial for those without a lot of
technical skill or knowledge.
[ about the skill level required to double click the
windows installer or run rpm/yast/synaptic from a gui
with no concept of anything behind what it does ]

Jaqui