Stephen,

First of all, thanks for your help.
I knew it was an easy fix. My lack of RexEx knowledge was shooting me in the
foot.

mod_dir is now loading when Apache starts.
I changed my code in the VirtualHost block in httpd-vhosts.conf to look like
this:

</VirtualHost>
[...]
    # list of redirects
    RedirectMatch ^/$ /home/index.html [R]
</VirtualHost>

And that did it.

One last question, though. This fixed my redirection for just this virtual
host. Do I need to repeat this in each virtual host on the server, or can I
put the redirect code in another location so it will apply to all virtual
hosts on this server?

Thanks,

Darren