All the configs are shared across NFS. So config files are the same on both OH1 and OH2...

the applications connect to mysql via php connect strings, and as tcpdump reveals are doing the proper things

You might try using strace on an Apache process on OH2 and see if you can spot anything amiss. Also, you might throw some debugging lines into your PHP code to spit out some breakpoint-like messages. I've had good luck with a custom error handler and trigger_error(). My error handler emails me as much diagnostic info as possible (including the contents of the errcontext array). With PHP5, I've also used file_put_contents() to write debug output to a file. That's perhaps not very safe, but while testing it's been very helpful.