It was thus said that the Great Sergey Tsalkov once stated:

> Hey guys.. My Apache was hit with a DoS attack, where the attacker was
> opening connections to the server and not sending any data. It quickly
> reached the MaxClients limit and prevented any further connections to
> the server.
>
> For some reason, Apache isn't listing the IP of the connection in
> Server Status until that connection actually makes a request. Anyone
> know why?

  It might be a SYN based attack, which consumes connections without
actually making a connection.  I have some notes on fighting such an attack
on the Linux platform at

        http://boston.conman.org/2004/01/04.2

  It might also be that you have some limits set too low---a while ago I
experienced a situation much like the SYN attack I mentioned above but it
was actually a large increase in legitimate requests that the customer
neglected to inform me about (they were expecting it due to a marketing
campaign, I wasn't expecting it).

  -spc (Hope this helps some ... )