Apart from certain usage - like MP3 or video streaming on a 100 or
1000Mbps line -, the bottleneck is not the disk subsystem, but the CPU is,
the average load of 2 also shows this. Using a RAID1 array also decreases
stress on the disks, the 4.5% iowait avg is not an issue - and logging
into different logfiles does not increase this at all. You should rather
look for a faster CPU, because every other part of your box seems to be
fine - at least from my point of view.

It's an Opteron 1.8 GHz. It used to be running on a 2+ GHz Xeon, but it had other issues (lots of curious problems that all seemed to point at a faulty motherboard), and Rackspace switched us to the AMD architecture. We're using the 64-bit version of Redhat. All the LAMP pieces - MySQL, PHP, and Apache - are custom compiled from source tarballs (I'm a FreeBSD guy at heart, and old habits die hard). That was strictly to configure in the pieces I needed, not to specify compiler options. It seemed to run better on the Xeon, but it's not a straight comparison - we were using FreeBSD, not Linux; it only had 1GB of RAM, not 2; a single IDE drive, not SCSI RAID1.