Just a reminder about this post :) Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour? Do you need more information? Any help would be most appreciated!

Andy

Andy Buckley wrote:

Hi,

I have a long-standing problem with getting output filters to work in Location blocks. Here's an example configuration:

<VirtualHost 129.234.186.122:80>
    ServerName dev.cedar.ac.uk
    [and so on...]

    ExtFilterDefine hepforge-wrapper mode=output intype=text/html \
      outtype=text/html cmd=/cedar/testlocal/cgi-bin/hepforge-web-wrapper

    ## ReStructuredText
    AddType text/html .rst
    Action rst-handler /cgi-bin/rst-filter
    AddHandler rst-handler .rst

    ## CGI bin
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /cedar/testlocal/cgi-bin/

    <Location /testhf >
        SetOutputFilter hepforge-wrapper
    </Location>

</VirtualHost>

I would expect that this Location block would apply the "hepforge-filter" output filter to any HTML encountered at http://dev.cedar.ac.uk/testhf, but it doesn't work. However, a .rst document at http://dev.cedar.ac.uk/testhf/rsttest (I'm using multiviews, hence the AddType for .rst) *will* get passed through the filter succesfully if I add this:

    <Location /cgi-bin >
        SetOutputFilter hepforge-wrapper
    </Location>

(You can check this behaviour at these addresses: they're real URLs.)

Finally, I can make the http://dev.cedar.ac.uk/testhf area get filtered if I add a Directory section instead of a Location:

    <Directory /www/dev/testhf >
        SetOutputFilter hepforge-wrapper
    </Directory>

It's my understanding that Location and Directory sections should be semantically the same from the point of view of filters: I can't see why this configuration doesn't work. I can't just use Directory sections since, for example, some bits of the site are generated by CGI scripts outside the DocumentRoot.

Is this a bug or am I just attempting to do something odd? :)

Cheers,
Andy

--
Dr Andy Buckley: CEDAR @ IPPP, Durham