Joshua Slive wrote:
On 6/21/06, onin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

there's paragraph like this:
---------
We do not recommend using a threaded MPM in production with Apache2. Use
the prefork MPM instead, or use Apache1. For information on why, read
the related FAQ entry on using Apache2 with a threaded MPM
<http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.installation.php#faq.installation.apache2>

On windows, you have no choice.  The mpm is always threaded (and was
even in 1.3).  This makes the warning above pretty absurd.  (Although,
in its defense, I'm sure the php people would point out that the big
problem with php and threaded servers are non-thread-safe libraries,
and the libraries people use on win32 are more likely be to be
thread-safe than the typical unix stuff.)

And they have been saying this since, oh, 2000?  In 6 years, ya suppose a few
of those library authors have fixed their code to be thread safe?  Most modern
apps and new development use threads, especially if they target solaris.  Even
Java itself has been threaded far longer than Apache httpd.

For the most part you can -ignore- this error if you have a modern system.
That's not an absolute truth, but close enough for government work.

Of course some of us have been using it for those 6 years in worker mode,
but I wouldn't expect that caviat emptor to disappear anytime soon.  The
more things change...

Bill