On 6/22/06, Ahn, Chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm using SSI for most of my site and just noticed that the response header
isn't sending the file's last modified date.   In Apache configuration, can
you configure Apache to send the requested SSI file's last modified date in
the HTTP header without resorting to XBitHack or code modification?

No, I don't believe so.

I've read the mod_expires may offer a method. I've gotten it to work... sort
of.

This works, but it uses access time as the modified date.
  <IfModule mod_expires.c>
   ExpiresActive on
   ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 days"
  </IfModule>

When I change to modification, it still returns the access time as the
modified date.  Am I going down the wrong path or is this configuration
wrong?

  <IfModule mod_expires.c>
   ExpiresActive on
   ExpiresDefault "modification plus 1 days"
  </IfModule>

Neither of these set the Last-Modified header.  They both set the
Expires and Cache-Control: max-age header.

Also note that the mod_expires docs say:
"Note that if you use a modification date based setting, the Expires
header will not be added to content that does not come from a file on
disk. This is due to the fact that there is no modification time for
such content."
This probably applies to mod_include generated files.

Finally, don't include the <IfModule ...> and </IfModule> lines.
These just serve to obscure useful error messages.

Joshua.