From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Joshua
Slive
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:27 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [EMAIL PROTECTED] How to enable modification date for SSI files

On 6/22/06, Ahn, Chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm using SSI for most of my site and just noticed that the response
header
> isn't sending the file's last modified date.   In Apache
configuration, can
> you configure Apache to send the requested SSI file's last modified
> date in the HTTP header without resorting to XBitHack or code
modification?

No, I don't believe so.

> I've read the mod_expires may offer a method. I've gotten it to
> work... sort of.
>
> This works, but it uses access time as the modified date.
>   <IfModule mod_expires.c>
>    ExpiresActive on
>    ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 days"
>   </IfModule>
>
> When I change to modification, it still returns the access time as the

> modified date.  Am I going down the wrong path or is this
> configuration wrong?
>
>   <IfModule mod_expires.c>
>    ExpiresActive on
>    ExpiresDefault "modification plus 1 days"
>   </IfModule>

Neither of these set the Last-Modified header.  They both set the
Expires and Cache-Control: max-age header.

Also note that the mod_expires docs say:
"Note that if you use a modification date based setting, the Expires
header will not be added to content that does not come from a file on
disk. This is due to the fact that there is no modification time for
such content."
This probably applies to mod_include generated files.

Finally, don't include the <IfModule ...> and </IfModule> lines.
These just serve to obscure useful error messages.

Joshua.