On 8/5/06, Mididoc Productions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
hello,

we get a message in apache log-file that the server is to busy and that we
should rise the amount:

[Sat Aug  5 17:08:53 2006] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children, there
are 2 idle, and 12 total children

At the moment we have following values:

StartServers 5

MinSpareServers 3
MaxSpareServers 5

Could anybody please tell us which values we should use?

The message in the error log is just informational.  It only means
your server will be slightly slower responding to load changes; no big
deal.

To get rid of it, you should increase all three of those numbers.  A
good number for StartServers is your average number of simultaneous
clients.  MinSpareServers should be big enough to absorbe your typical
changes in load.  MaxSpareServers should be somewhat bigger than
MinSpareServers.

You can use the server-status handler of mod_status to observe
activity on your server to fine tune these settings.

Joshua.